Donuts bring people together

Last night I was at a Taqueria in San Clemente eating a torta and telling my friends about this new donut blog when I heard a lady next to me say, "Excuse me. Are you talking about donuts?" I turned and said "Yes I am."

Then she continued in her tired but excited voice, "If you're looking for the best donut, there is this shop just up the street in the little shopping center. It has the best tasting donuts I've ever had. It's run by this asian couple and they are the hardest workers. They are there 365 days out the year. And there is this other shop down that way in the other direction... They have a great maple bar..." And so on.

Ha. I was loving it. As we continued to talk I noticed this lady had a few bags in the seat opposite her and she was drawing in a journal sketch pad. She didn't seem to be there just to have a meal. Just as I noticed these things she sheepishly slipped in, "I'm homeless." She never asked me for anything or gave me any looks trying to pressure me into anything but I felt that she was hungry, not for food, but for conversation.

After a bit I looked down at my mound of food and remembered the $5.00 in my wallet... We ordered 2 more tacos and enjoyed the rest of the night. Thank God for donuts, tortas, and conversation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here