The Original Ferrell’s Donuts – Scotts Valley, CA

3 NadasIn the past 12 years, I have lived all over Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley. As I explored I discovered there were multiple Ferrell’s Donut Shops. I first fell in love with Ferrell’s on Ocean street, then Ferrell’s on Mission Street. Next I found “The Original Ferrell’s” on 17th which jolted my memory that there was another “Original Ferrell’s” in Scotts Valley on Scotts Valley Drive. This was confusing to me because the word “original,” to me, meant the first one, and there can only be one first one.

On this particular morning I was passing through Scotts Valley on my way to play at a Church and I decided it was time to figure this thing out. I asked, “What’s with the word Original in the name?” She told me that years ago, there were 5 affiliated Ferrell’s Donut Shops (2 of them have since gone out of business). 2 more donut shops opened and somehow legally got the business name of Ferrell’s. The owner of the Original 5 shops wanted to separate himself from the fakes, so he changed the name to “The Original Ferrell’s Donuts.” It’s too bad for him that, in my opinion, the copies are better that the original.

Vibe of Shop: 5 Nadas
One of the more cleaner shops I’ve ever been to, it shows that these people take donuts very seriously. Cleanliness equals pride. Unfortunately, pride does not always equal amazing donuts.

Outside Appearance: 4 Nadas
This place tips cuteness scale but… looks aren’t everything. Tucked between auto shops and business offices, I’m not sure I’d like to spend much time hanging out here.

Hours: 1 Nadas
It gets 1 Nada for only being open occasionally. The hours are slim, but it is in Scotts Valley. There’s not much going on in this town.. 7am-12pm 6 days a week or so.

Service: 5 Nadas
First I must point out: Not Asian, a rarity in donut shops. She was very kind and helpful…. Kind of reminded me of grandma.

Taste of Glaze Donut: 2 Nadas
I tasted the donut and was very disappointed. It was dry and not fresh. I came to find out that the donuts are made in another shop and delivered here in the morning. Boo.
Blueberry Donut? Yes! And the kind with delicious blueberry frosting.

Coffee: 3 Nadas
On a rough morning, this stuff will get you going, but I wouldn’t go out of my way just to taste it (which is what I did for this blog. Ha. I just realized that).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here