VooDoo Doughnut #1 – Portland, OR

4 1/2 Nadas (Not Family Friendly, though)
When I tell people that I have a donut blog they generally react like this: First they laugh or chuckle, then their eyes light up and they ask, “Have you tried (insert donut shop) in (insert town)?” Everyone has a favorite donut shop or a crazy donut experience. I heard of Voodoo Doughnuts from a few people. I had to check it out. It just happened to work out that I was on a tour (the Banyan Tree Family Tour) stopping in Portland for a few days.
Hold on…
OK. I’m back… So Felix, my roommate, unaware that I was typing this right now, called me to the living room to watch a segment on the travel channel. This is crazy… It was on VooDoo Doughnuts!!!! I’m tripping out right now. Ha.
Anyway, I just learned that there are over 6000 different donuts shops in the USA. VooDoo Doughnuts contributes 2 shops to that number and was started by 2 guys named Cat Daddy and Tres…. And they are crazy. Ha. Here’s my experience with their shop.

Vibe of Shop: 4
This shop has a ton of style. They had amazing paintings, a giant donut, and an underlying pink theme. It is very playful. The only problem is that there is no place inside or out to sit and enjoy the donuts. (I actually took my donuts over to Stumptown Coffee shop to eat them.)

Outside Appearance: 5 Nadas
I loved the vintage brick look. I also loved the little nook, hole-in-the-wall look.

Hours: 5 Nadas
24 Hours!!! This donut shop is perfectly located in the downtown section of Portland known to the locals as “the Bar-muda triangle.” Strategically placed in the middle of multiple bars, as they all close, hungry drunks can grab a donut to soak up the alcohol.

Service: 3 Nadas
This is a pretty popular place, so as I ordered, the service was all business. They had cool style though… Somewhat of a Portland city hippie/hipster vibe. Note: Not predominately Asian

Taste of Glaze Donut: 5 Nadas
This donut was delightfully rich, moist, fluffy, and sweet, although overshadowed by all the specialty donuts.

Blueberry Donut? See “Special” below
Coffee: 5 Nadas
In Portland, there is a coffee company called Stumptown Coffee. While in Portland, I visited the Stumptown Annex for a coffee “cupping.” These people take coffee seriously just like how Voodoo Doughtnuts takes donut making seriously. Simply put, the coffee was great.
Special: Beyond the plethora of dirty donut options (ie. Tex-Ass, Cock-N-Balls, the Gay Bar, Vegan Cock, Old Dirty Bastard) this shop had the most creative donuts I have yet seen. Here are some examples:
1. The Voodoo Doll – shaped like a person, covered with chocolate, white frosting draws the face, raspberry filling to imitate blood, and a straight pretzel stabbing the doll in the side…Scarily delicious!
2. Captain My Captain – a raised donut covered in white frosting topped with Captain Crunch Cereal.
3. Bacon Maple Bar – Yes, this donut has real bacon on it! Unfortunately I was unable to taste this donut as they were out of it when I asked. Think about it though, breakfast… Pancakes with maple syrup…Bacon on the side, but the syrup spills off the pancakes and runs all over and around the bacon. This is all that in a donut!
And, yes, they do have simple blueberry donuts.
PS. They sell pink underwear and… they are licensed to legally performing wedding ceremonies in their shop!!! Amazing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here