Baker Tom's - Hilo, Hawaii

Overall Shop rating: 4 ½ Nadas Hilo, Hawaii is a town that blends perfectly the hometown country feel and island paradise. There are so many “mom and pop” shops owned by locals that you would never need to go corporate for any meal… or donut.
I spent 2 months hanging out in Hilo with my Grandma, Uncle and Aunty in the Spring of 2010. I searched but could not find a donut shop in this town. Instead I was blown away when I was introduced to the Hawaiian version: the Malasada (originally the Portuguese version of the donut).

Vibe of Shop: 5 Nadas
I loved the vibe. It’s so local and friendly, filled with Aloha.

Outside Appearance: 5 Nadas
This is one of the most unique bakery shops I’ve ever seen. It’s a few miles out of town on the country highway on the way to Waimea. The shop is a converted auto repair shop turned bakery. One garage bay has become the store front and the other has become the lounge.

Hours: 6am-6pm Weekdays, 7am-6pm Weekends

Service: 5 Nadas
I loved that Baker Tom’s mom was the one that served us. I love the personal family touch. Baker Tom’s dad hangs out in the garage turned lounge next door. Amazing.

Taste of Glaze Donut: 4 Nadas
Technically this wasn’t a glazed donut, and they didn’t even have glaze in the traditional sense, but I didn’t care. I loved the Blackberry, the PB&J, the Canadian Bacon & Cheese, the Lilikoi, and more. Wow!



Blueberry Donut? No, but who needs a blueberry donut when you have a plethora of filled malasadas. You could have breakfast, lunch, and dinner all here inside this wonderful dough… if you can handle all the grease…

Coffee: 3 Nadas
The coffee was good but nothing special. There is a great local shop down the road called Sharky’s that I suggest if you want quality coffee.

Special: I’ve already talked about all the special donuts/malasadas. Instead I want to point out the special advertisement posted on the board at the shop. It’s for the Neuter Scooter. It comes to Spay/Neuter your cats right at your own home.
















View Larger Map

2 comments:

Sarah said...

cheeee pono! you finally posted it up! now you gotta go to leonard's for malasadas next time you go oahu. mmm lucky they live hawaii

i'm going back to hawaii nei in june! like come? if no can, no worry bu i'll eat malasads for you haha.

Sarah said...

and yes, if you couldn't tell, i'm trying to brush up on pidgin...it's fading :(

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here