Solana Donuts - Solana Beach, CA

Overall Shop rating: 4 NadasMy name is David Matsumura. I love donuts, I love Jesus Christ, I love surfing, and I love music. Everyday, I try and fill my day with these four things. I want to inspire and help others do the same. Today, donutblog.com is venturing into a new area. We are proud to announce that we have sponsored our first musical artist, Tyson Mostenbocker. He is currently working on a new EP that should be released in November 2010. I’ve heard it, and it is sounding great. He mixes cool guitar parts with smooth vocals and great story telling… and he has a killer mustache! Check it out for yourself (the music, that is)! Solana Donuts is his local donut shop. Together we visited and talked music and surfing over delicious donuts.

Vibe of Shop: 4 ½ Nadas
I loved the classic feel of this shop. Great use of “donut pink” and plenty of space for seating, or a dance party. There was a disco ball hanging above the donut case making me wonder what goes on in this shop after hours… I also really loved the amazing painting of a tropical beach on the wall.

Outside Appearance: 2 ½ Nadas
It was kind of tucked away in a 2 story strip mall. The outside wasn’t very inviting but I did like that there was the Fish House right above. Fish and Donuts…. Mmmmm.

Hours: Mon – Thurs 5:00am to 9:00pm
Fri – Sat 5:00am to 10:00pm
Sun 6:00am to 12:00pm



Service: 4 ½ Nadas
I believe the lady who served us was named Thim. She was fantastic. She was the perfect asian donut shop owner who runs the front of the store while her husband bakes donuts in the back. I’ve seen this “set up” often and it seems to work well.Taste of Glaze Donut: 3 ½ Nadas
The donut was nice and fluffy and the glaze was great but overall it was a bit dry.

Blueberry Donut: No

Coffee: 3 Nadas
The coffee was just average. It did the job, but didn’t impress me.

Special: 2 things:
1. I love it when donut shops make giant donuts. I would never eat one, but I love looking at them. Here they had a giant raised sugar donut.2. On this day I ordered an apple pastry. It was amazing! The glaze was perfect and the apple filling blew my mind.













View Larger Map

1 comments:

LM said...

Love what you're doing here. I own a MINI-donut shop in Florida. Hope to see you there! haha-
Check out my page-
donutqueen89.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here