The Golden Donuts – San Diego, CA

Overall Shop Rating: 2 NadasThe Golden Donut was a golden let down. Today I was craving a donut so my roommates and I went on a search. Upon arrival, this shop was swarming with Senior Citizens like flies on dog poo. Usually this is a sign of tasty donuts and delicious coffee, but today that was not the case. My only explanation can be that, in their old age, these Senior Citizens’ taste buds have died and they are content with eating crap.

Vibe of Shop: 3 Nadas
I sincerely liked the vibe of the shop. Though small and crowded, there was some decent use of “donut pink” and I liked the décor. Visually, it was a little noisy and over-stimulating but I liked the use of foliage to soften the feel.


Outside Appearance: 4 Nadas
Perfectly hidden in the corner of a strip mall, I appreciated the lawn chairs and tables outside. If only they could talk, I’m sure they would have heard some great stories from all the older people who convene there.

Hours: Sun – Fri 4:00am to 3:00pm, Sat 4:00am to 6:00pm

Service: 4 Nadas
The people serving us seemed genuinely nice, but were “all business” when it came to ordering. I think that’s due to the high volume of Senior Citizen customers (they tend to be cranky).

Taste of Glaze Donut: 1 Nada
I was very, very disappointed in the taste. It was dry, not very fluffy, and the glaze was bad.

Blueberry Donut: Yes.

Coffee: 2 Nadas
I have some advice: “Do at least one thing right.” Golden Donut needs to take that and run with it. If you want to be a donut shop and you can’t make good donuts, at least make good coffee. Maybe their strength is in their ability to bring people together… well, this is a donut shop, not Bingo Night at the YMCA.Special: Marketing. This was the first shop that recognized the potential in promoting to churches and schools. “Quantity, not quality” must be the way they operate.


View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here