Psycho Donuts – Campbell, CA

3 Nadas

This donut shop is “Crazy!” Some people take themselves too seriously, and some people not seriously enough. Shortly after Psycho Donuts opened, some people took offense to the irreverent theme and began protesting. I assume the motive of making donuts with names like “Bi-Polar (a donut with 2 separate flavors on each side)” and “Massive Head Trauma (a donut that looks like a head with an injury and jelly oozing out)” was just to be silly and fun, but the problem lies in the fact that there are people out there who have family members, friends, or they themselves have had to deal with these infirmities. The funny thing to me is, that by all the protesting and the ruckus made, it has only made this shop more popular. Even television news programs have highlighted the shop and the resistance against these deliciously and inappropriately themed balls of sugar and dough. I had to check this place out for myself after seeing a news clip on the protests. This is what I have found.

Vibe of Shop: 4 Nadas
This is not a place where I would want hang out, unlike the common donut shop décor that makes one feel welcome and warm in a weird 70’s tile, florescent light kind of way. This shop didn’t have many seats and the X-rays of broken bones and weird spiky-haired skulls made me feel a bit uneasy. They had a cute miniature padded room with an amp and guitar available for shredding on, although there is one stipulation: No Stairway. I must admit: This place was fun for the eyes.

Outside Appearance: 2 Nadas
The location is good and visible in a small corner strip mall, but it is kind of hard to navigate into the parking lot.

Hours: Weekdays 6am – 8pm, Weekends 7am – 11pm

Service: 4.5 Nadas
The girl who helped us was in uniform, an old style nurse’s outfit. She had great pink and purple hair, and her sharp tongue made for fun banter while ordering. Taste of Glaze Donut: 2 Nadas
I tried the most simple donut close to a raised glaze. I wasn’t impressed. It was in the afternoon when I stopped by, but the donut tasted dry and stale. On the other hand, I tried a Key Lime Pie donut and it was great. Also, the cookies on the Nutty Cookie Monster we ordered were all soggy and stale. I like donuts that have a shelf life of freshness of at least 16 hours…

Blueberry Donut? Uhhhhhh…. They had too many weird donuts that I was distracted and forgot to look for the blueberry.
Coffee: 3 Nadas
It was average. I was half expecting it to be spiked with some sort of tranquilizer fluid or something.

Special: Everything is “special” about this place. It would complete the theme if they would offer rides in a short yellow school bus around the block as you ate your donuts.

View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment

advertise here
advertise here
advertise here
advertise here